Friday 11 July 2008

Dear Diary, I just went to the Victoria Memorial Hall today. It was a very beautiful place. I have never seen any thing grander than this. I was very impressed by th chiming clock which was donated by the Strait Trading Company in 1906. During the Japanese Occupation, the clock ran on Tokyo's time. A statue of Raffles, the wonderful founder of Singapore, stands with pride in front of the building. The building has a left and a right wing. The right wing was added only in 1905. This acted like a tribute to the Queen Victoria. When she passed away in 1901, Singapore, which was under the British colony, decided to build a memorial for her. The idea of the right wing was used - for people thought that it was much more special than just a wall. Hence, the right wing was built. Admiring the fabulous structure, I wondered inside the building. The floor was made of the expensive white marble. Classical music accompanied me while I walked through the long and quiet corridors. The lights were quite dim as they were halogen lights. ( an orange type of light)
One room had a huge model of the Victoria Memorial Hall Building. It was well- protected by a glass cover. My next destination was the theatre and concert hall. There were two big gates leading to the place. Unfortunately, the gates were locked and I could not get inside. Right in front of the Victoria Memorial Hall, I could see the Singapore Criket Club and a nice garden. There was also a huge bridge near the Benjamin Shears' Bridge. Altogether, the view was fabulous.
Well, that's all for that educational trip to the Victoria Memorial Hall. I really wish that there were such houses on sale in Singapore as I would really wish to live in a beautiful house like that. Got to sign off as it is already past midnight.

Julietz

No comments: